Morris Day and the Time headlined Summer Soul Jam 2013 at the World's Fair Park Amphitheater last night. He is part James Brown, part Prince, and all Morris Day. He and his smoking hot band put on a funktastic extravaganza that blew the roof off. The SRO capacity crowd went crazy.
Among the other acts (a rap crew that opened the show, some guy who was a friend of Luther Vandross, and the silky smooth R&B of Silk), the old school soul and R&B set by local group Aftah Party was our favorite.
Between sets, MC Lightfoot and his DJ kept the energy going with stand up comedy and slick dance moves. That guy knows how to work the mic and a crowd.
A couple more cellphone pics after the break
Audience members join Morris Day on stage for dance party
The Mrs. rushes the stage as usual for a close up
- Haslam's legacy (20 replies)
- The best states for bicycling (12 replies)
- David Letterman signs off (2 replies)
- Good guys just stand out (1 reply)
- Mark Harmon on American Exceptionalism (3 replies)
- DTV Features Honor Air Knoxville and Eddie Mannis (1 reply)
- Boy Scout president calls for end to ban on gay leaders (2 replies)
- Haven't bragged about the SIL lately (3 replies)
- State and federal complaints filed against Knoxville charity (18 replies)
- Politically connected defendant will plead guilty to a lesser charge (9 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (38 replies)
- Takata Air Bag Recall grows (5 replies)