Morris Day and the Time headlined Summer Soul Jam 2013 at the World's Fair Park Amphitheater last night. He is part James Brown, part Prince, and all Morris Day. He and his smoking hot band put on a funktastic extravaganza that blew the roof off. The SRO capacity crowd went crazy.
Among the other acts (a rap crew that opened the show, some guy who was a friend of Luther Vandross, and the silky smooth R&B of Silk), the old school soul and R&B set by local group Aftah Party was our favorite.
Between sets, MC Lightfoot and his DJ kept the energy going with stand up comedy and slick dance moves. That guy knows how to work the mic and a crowd.
A couple more cellphone pics after the break
Audience members join Morris Day on stage for dance party
The Mrs. rushes the stage as usual for a close up
- Tennessee ranks in the bottom 10 of worst places to do business (10 replies)
- Shadowy groups seek to keep virtual schools alive in Tennessee (3 replies)
- Next Stop (34 replies)
- Knox Co. Democratic Party convention March 28th (3 replies)
- KCS finance director leaving to join Emerald Youth Foundation (4 replies)
- Free market senior services? (5 replies)
- It's getting close to tax time (8 replies)
- Frank Cagle nails the Voucher Issue (31 replies)
- (Another) Bargain Hunter's Review: United Grocery Outlet (6 replies)
- Led Zeppelin update (5 replies)
- Headline fail (17 replies)
- RIP Leonard Nimoy (8 replies)