All I wanted to do was help the Monarch population. Now, it appears I may have inadvertently created a battle zone.
I may have to end my love affair with the hornworm.
Every year I plant hardshell gourds which flower at night so it makes sense to encourage night flying Sphinx moths to lay eggs near the gourd patch. At a Pueblo in NewMexico I learned of companion planting tomatoes with the gourds. That makes sense and for years in various states I have done so with great results. Note please that the hornworms have their tomato patch and I have mine and transportation is provided to those who wander in the wrong direction.
For the first time in more than a decade of gardening with hornworms I am seeing all them covered with parasitic wasp larvae. The count is nine as of today which is every one I have seen in the garden. I know this is suppose to be a good thing, but....
This year I planted milkweed in various spots in the yard and garden to help the monarch population. The Travels of Monarch X was a favorite book when my kids were young and really, if something as simple as planting a few milkweed plants with help save the Monarchs then I am all in.
So here is the big question- rather than helping the Monarchs have I created a death zone for their caterpillars with my parasitic wasp nursery?
- Looking like a deadlock (17 replies)
- Uber Problem (16 replies)
- The long awaited "policy positions" of Dem candidate for Governor Charlie Brown (7 replies)
- Big Box Health Care: Are You Ready for Walmart Care Clinics? (8 replies)
- Nashville Charter Drama (21 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (55 replies)
- Some happy Labor Day news from California (2 replies)
- ETSPJ denounces McIntyre - BOE "agreement" (10 replies)
- ISIS (113 replies)
- Does this make you feel safer? (4 replies)
- Surprise, surprise! (49 replies)
- All the Companies Making Money From Healthcare.gov in One Chart (26 replies)
- Sep 4 2014 - 5:30pm (1 day 21 hours from now)
First Friday Celebration and Silent Auction (benefiting UTK College Dems) with Knox Co Democratic PartySep 5 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 21 hours from now)
- Sep 10 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 22 hours from now)