All I wanted to do was help the Monarch population. Now, it appears I may have inadvertently created a battle zone.
I may have to end my love affair with the hornworm.
Every year I plant hardshell gourds which flower at night so it makes sense to encourage night flying Sphinx moths to lay eggs near the gourd patch. At a Pueblo in NewMexico I learned of companion planting tomatoes with the gourds. That makes sense and for years in various states I have done so with great results. Note please that the hornworms have their tomato patch and I have mine and transportation is provided to those who wander in the wrong direction.
For the first time in more than a decade of gardening with hornworms I am seeing all them covered with parasitic wasp larvae. The count is nine as of today which is every one I have seen in the garden. I know this is suppose to be a good thing, but....
This year I planted milkweed in various spots in the yard and garden to help the monarch population. The Travels of Monarch X was a favorite book when my kids were young and really, if something as simple as planting a few milkweed plants with help save the Monarchs then I am all in.
So here is the big question- rather than helping the Monarchs have I created a death zone for their caterpillars with my parasitic wasp nursery?
- Traffic deaths expected to have hit troubling milestone (1 reply)
- Swedes confused/angered by Trump remark (4 replies)
- LWV local news media forum (6 replies)
- The Great Backyard Bird Count is underway (4 replies)
- Concerns linger over future of AMSE after land transfer (1 reply)
- McCain Defends a Free Press: ‘That’s How Dictators Get Started’ (2 replies)
- Nearly one-third of TN high schoolers graduated without all course requirements in 2015 (4 replies)
- U.S. House sanctions hunting hibernating bears, wolf pups in their dens (2 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (101 replies)
- What's Going On? An update about road and greenway projects across Blount County (2 replies)
- NYT: The 'Caddyshack' President (6 replies)
- Trump's NatSec advisor Michael Flynn resigns (20 replies)
- Feb 22 2017 - 12:00pm (1 day 4 hours from now)
- Feb 23 2017 - 6:00pm (2 days 10 hours from now)
- Feb 27 2017 - 7:00pm (6 days 11 hours from now)