Interesting article from the Orlando Sentinel: Soaring e-book demand strains Central Florida library budgets
According to the article, libraries pay $84 for e-book titles as compared to $28 for print titles. Part of the higher cost is for convenience. It's not clear from the article if the $84 is for a single checkout copy or multiple (x number of) concurrent checkouts. Either way, e-book pricing, whether for consumers or libraries, seems to be upside down v. hardcopy.
We've been using library e-book lending on our Kindles. The process is a little clunky. In the case of Blount County the main difficulty is finding the link to the e-book library. Then, once you're there you have to log in again.
Both Blount and Knox Co. libraries use the "Overdrive" system which is OK once you figure it out. For Kindle, though, you have to go to Amazon to actually download your book or use USB transfer. (Tip: you can download one checkout to multiple Kindles on your account.)
Looking at instructions for other Overdrive apps (for tablets, etc.), it sounds a little more complicated to set up but possibly smoother to use once it is. Or you can just use Amazon's Kindle app for your device.
If you want to check out a book for longer than the default seven days you have to change your account to set a new default. (We set ours to 21 days and check them back in promptly when finished.)
Blount Co. offers e-books through the Tennessee R.E.A.D.S. program for regional libraries. Knox Co. appears to operate their own program.
I'm not able to find much info about how these programs are funded, how many copies of e-books are available for checkout, etc. For the TN R.E.A.D.S. program it's also not clear if the available checkout copies are shared across all libraries or per-library. Either way, there are usually waiting lists for current best sellers.
It's still a pretty good deal. There are lots of great titles and the cost (free) can't be beat.
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (84 replies)
- City to begin enforcing parking meter time limits (17 replies)
- Feeling old, again (12 replies)
- Mountaintop removal coal mining banned in East TN (1 reply)
- Trump's Cabinet (37 replies)
- Will Trump last four years? (47 replies)
- Jill Stein attempts to raise $2 million by Friday 4:00 pm for recounts (35 replies)
- Obama leaving economy better than he found it (4 replies)
- Is Trump a pathological liar? (1 reply)
- Standing Rock Sioux pipeline protest (1 reply)
- MLK Center Job Posting (1 reply)
- Feeling old (1 reply)