• As mentioned previously, the bill enabling a statewide charter school approval authority cleared the House Education committee yesterday.
• The school voucher bill was deferred in the House until 3/12. It is scheduled for the Senate Education Committee today, 3/6.
• The bill prohibiting local governments from requiring contractors to pay prevailing wages cleared the Local Government committee and appears headed to the floor for a vote.
• The House Criminal Justice subcommittee approved the bill prohibiting pain management clinics from dispensing narcotics. It now heads to the full Criminal Justice committee.
• The House Local Government committee approved a measure prohibiting the U.N. from observing elections in Tennessee. It appears headed for a floor vote. The Senate has not yet taken up the measure.
• A Senate bill (the first bill introduced in January) prohibiting Tennessee from participating in Medicaid/TennCare expansion has been assigned to the Senate Commerce and Labor subcommittee. A similar House bill was taken off notice last week, and its companion bill was previously assigned to the full Senate Commerce and Labor committee.
• Wine in grocery stores was deferred by the Senate Finance committee until 3/11. The House Local Government subcommittee is scheduled to hear it today.
• The bill making motorcycle helmets optional is scheduled for the House Transportation subcommittee today.
• Guns in trunks was sent to the Governor for his signature yesterday.
- One last questionnaire for school board candidates (which I didn't answer) (2 replies)
- Tips for local live musicians (6 replies)
- Oh National Democrats wherefore art thou? (10 replies)
- Remembering Black Wednesday (17 replies)
- Campaign Party and Kickoff for Cameron Brooks! (5 replies)
- The Internets and Questionable Journalism (21 replies)
- Gates-funded inBloom student data repository shutting down (3 replies)
- KnoxViews exclusive: U.S. Senate candidate Gordon Ball on the issues (20 replies)
- Passover breakfast at McDonald's (2 replies)
- TEA: "Many victories" for public ed this legislative session (2 replies)
- Phone Advice Needed (36 replies)
- KUB having trouble with broken water mains (6 replies)