For Friday, January 18th, 2013:
Schools: Knox County, Blount County, Anderson County, Maryville City and Alcoa City schools are closed Friday. Schools are also closed Monday for Martin Luther King Day.
Knox County Government administration offices, including libraries, senior centers, health department and solid waste convenience centers, will open late at 10 a.m. Friday.
Employees are encouraged to report to work only if they can do so safely. Employees who cannot report to work are asked to use appropriate leave.
Before getting out on the roads, any member of the public needing to conduct business with Knox County should call 215-2000 to be sure individual offices are open.
City of Knoxville offices will open late at 10 a.m. Friday. City employees are encouraged to use caution. Employees who cannot report to work are asked to use appropriate leave.
Knoxville City Court will not be in session on Friday, but the court office will be open. The public is asked to call City of Knoxville offices (also at 215-2000) before coming to the City County Building for business.
City crews worked overnight to treat streets and clear several downed trees. Level I and II routes were re-treated overnight. To report hazardous conditions on city streets, call 311. See also: City streets snow plan.
KUB is reporting 9500+ customers without power at this hour. Most (3200) are in South Knoxville.
TDOT Smartway is not reporting any hazardous road conditions on major highways at this time (4AM). One lane of Alcoa Highway northbound remains closed after a rock slide south of U.T. Hospital. Motorists are advised to use I-140/Pellissippi Parkway to Interstate 40 or John Sevier Highway to Chapman Highway to James White Parkway into Downtown/I-40 as alternate routes.
Local conditions: Here in Alcoa, driveways and sidewalks are solid ice. Ground cover is approx. 1 inch of snow with a crunchy top layer of ice. City streets in our neighborhood have been treated and appear mostly clear, with snow/ice on the shoulders and patches of black ice here and there. Be careful out there!
Forecast: Currently 29 and clear. Sunny with a high of 45 forecast for today.
- Jimmy Haslam's house on the market for $4.9 million (12 replies)
- Attn: Ted Cruz (1 reply)
- Guns in parks passes Senate (10 replies)
- Next month: Massive support as TN joins three other states in SCOTUS challenge to gay marriage bans (2 replies)
- Insure Tennessee killed. Again. (16 replies)
- Scripps out of the newspaper business as of today (1 reply)
- Electioneering Time! (Or April Fool's prank?) (9 replies)
- Tonight! Iron Jawed Angels (2 replies)
- FIX THIS NOW (6 replies)
- Stambaugh family displaced by home fire (5 replies)
- It's official: U.T. names Rick Barnes as new basketball coach (6 replies)
- Congrats to new KCDP officeholders (14 replies)