My daughter pulled out her new Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, a Christmas gift, and dazzled us last night with this solution to all that leftover ham. You must try it! Yum!
Cheesy Vegetable and Ham Chowder
2 cups water (and we added 2 tsps. ham base, from a jar)
2 cups chopped potatoes (2 medium)
1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
1/4 cup chopped onion (1 small)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
1 15-ounce can cream-style corn
2 cups cubed cooked ham
1, In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine water (and ham base, if desired), potato, carrot, celery, and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Do not drain.
2. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
3. Add cheese to milk mixture. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Add cheese mixture to potato mixture. Stir in corn and ham. Heat through but do not boil. If desired, season with additional pepper.
Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- UAW endorses Hillary Clinton (1 reply)
- Switzerland's Gotthard Train Tunnel Will Be World's Longest, Deepest (4 replies)
- Help a deserving Fulton High student go to Australia (1 reply)
- Mayor Burchett goes off on Gov. Haslam re. mental health treatment funding (2 replies)
- Vacation snapshots (4 replies)
- Some South Knoxville businesses forced to move as rent increases (8 replies)
- Tennessee's new prison stops taking inmates (1 reply)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (39 replies)
- Hot fun in the Summertime (4 replies)
- Prospects for county mayor (16 replies)
- What are Democrats fighting about? (23 replies)
- Carie Wade Gervin lands at the Scene (6 replies)