My daughter pulled out her new Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, a Christmas gift, and dazzled us last night with this solution to all that leftover ham. You must try it! Yum!
Cheesy Vegetable and Ham Chowder
2 cups water (and we added 2 tsps. ham base, from a jar)
2 cups chopped potatoes (2 medium)
1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
1/4 cup chopped onion (1 small)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
1 15-ounce can cream-style corn
2 cups cubed cooked ham
1, In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine water (and ham base, if desired), potato, carrot, celery, and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Do not drain.
2. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
3. Add cheese to milk mixture. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Add cheese mixture to potato mixture. Stir in corn and ham. Heat through but do not boil. If desired, season with additional pepper.
Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- UT & downtown parking costs to increase starting Friday (5 replies)
- Trump's gonna win (26 replies)
- UK votes to leave EU, PM Cameron resigns (22 replies)
- Chattanooga multi-use parking garage (5 replies)
- TIDAL wave? (9 replies)
- Tennessee Medicaid expansion task force plan: DOA? (1 reply)
- Clinton: Silicon Valley frat bros need our help! (1 reply)
- Time running out for free Windows 10 upgrade (9 replies)
- streetcar map (4 replies)
- RIP Pat Summitt (19 replies)
- Volunteer sunflower (1 reply)
- Supreme Court strikes down Texas abortion restrictions (7 replies)