My daughter pulled out her new Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, a Christmas gift, and dazzled us last night with this solution to all that leftover ham. You must try it! Yum!
Cheesy Vegetable and Ham Chowder
2 cups water (and we added 2 tsps. ham base, from a jar)
2 cups chopped potatoes (2 medium)
1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
1/4 cup chopped onion (1 small)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
1 15-ounce can cream-style corn
2 cups cubed cooked ham
1, In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine water (and ham base, if desired), potato, carrot, celery, and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Do not drain.
2. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
3. Add cheese to milk mixture. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Add cheese mixture to potato mixture. Stir in corn and ham. Heat through but do not boil. If desired, season with additional pepper.
Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- Cell phone outages in southeast Aug 4th (4 replies)
- Windows 10 doesn't suck (15 replies)
- Jimmy Carter: America is no longer a democracy (1 reply)
- Ijams rope course death (16 replies)
- USA! USA! (4 replies)
- AJ building proposals (3 replies)
- Newsroom of the Future's editor, past tense (3 replies)
- Obama unveils ‘biggest step we’ve ever taken’ on climate (2 replies)
- Haslam lays out plans for statewide road revenue tour (15 replies)
- Brewery, coffee roaster, others opening in South Knoxville (10 replies)
- Foster Arnett Parking Space + News Sentinel Removed Story (49 replies)
- Why teachers can’t hotfoot it out of Kansas fast enough (1 reply)