My daughter pulled out her new Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, a Christmas gift, and dazzled us last night with this solution to all that leftover ham. You must try it! Yum!
Cheesy Vegetable and Ham Chowder
2 cups water (and we added 2 tsps. ham base, from a jar)
2 cups chopped potatoes (2 medium)
1/2 cup chopped carrot (1 medium)
1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
1/4 cup chopped onion (1 small)
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
1 15-ounce can cream-style corn
2 cups cubed cooked ham
1, In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine water (and ham base, if desired), potato, carrot, celery, and onion. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Do not drain.
2. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
3. Add cheese to milk mixture. Cook and stir until cheese melts. Add cheese mixture to potato mixture. Stir in corn and ham. Heat through but do not boil. If desired, season with additional pepper.
Makes 6 main-dish servings.
- No Credit? No Problem (6 replies)
- Gang of 4.0 on radio this morning (3 replies)
- Jonathan Turley - "Get ready for an even bigger threat to Obamacare" (10 replies)
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (14 replies)
- Should Knox Co. Democrats cross over in the upcoming primaries? (42 replies)
- Jason Emert, Sleazy campaigner (5 replies)
- Adams fundraising update (1 reply)
- Yes, Virginia, there are Democrats on the ballot (9 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (42 replies)
- Here's why you should vote "yes" for all judicial retentions (1 reply)
- Briggs (187 replies)
- KNS running more misleading ads (2 replies)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (1 day 22 hours from now)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (3 days 13 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (6 days 14 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (6 days 22 hours from now)