Tennessee Republicans are eagerly anticipating the prospects of a GOP supermajority in the state legislature. This catastrophe will allow them to suspend rules and send bills straight to the floor for a pre-determined vote. They'll be faxing it in except for having to show up every now and then to vote with impunity.
They've already passed most of their signature GOP fantasy legislation in the last General Assembly. We got draconian budget cuts, elimination of agency oversight, tort "reform," union busting, a stacked deck against workers filing unemployment or worker compensation claims, discrimination against gays in state and local government contracts, opting out of Obamacare mandates, the end of teacher tenure, weakened teacher unions, unlimited charter schools, substandard for-profit "virtual" schools, teaching evolution in schools, drug testing for welfare recipients, repeal of voter verifiable voting machine requirements, weakened campaign finance laws, plus a voter photo ID poll tax and other voter disenfranchisement.
How much worse can it get with a Republican supermajority? School vouchers are a certainty. So is second passage of SJR127 to put a constitutional anti-abortion amendment on the ballot. First passage of a redundant anti-income tax amendment is likely. Medicaid expansion will be stalled or curtailed. Guns in trunks will be resurrected. One can only imagine what else they are cooking up. Check ALEC's website for the recipes.
Democrats are running a few good candidates, including three teachers from Knox Co. to fight vouchers. But will it be enough? Magic 8 Ball says "prospects gloomy."
We are superscrewed.
In related news, TNDP Chairman Chip Forrester says he is stepping down after this election.
- The Dean is signing off (1 reply)
- Sen. Alexander, you should be ashamed (19 replies)
- Infrastructure grades (5 replies)
- Welcome, Andi! (1 reply)
- Dark money comes to school board races. The source? Charter school advocates (1 reply)
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (31 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (63 replies)
- Alcoa Hwy closed this morning UT Hospital northbound (4 replies)
- The millennial vote? (12 replies)
- Let's get ready to rumble! (22 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (19 replies)
- Toxic air pollution nanoparticles discovered in the human brain (1 reply)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (5 days 9 hours from now)
- Oct 7 2016 - 6:00pm (6 days 9 hours from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (1 week 3 days from now)
- Oct 16 2016 - 7:00pm (2 weeks 1 day from now)