Tennessee Republicans are eagerly anticipating the prospects of a GOP supermajority in the state legislature. This catastrophe will allow them to suspend rules and send bills straight to the floor for a pre-determined vote. They'll be faxing it in except for having to show up every now and then to vote with impunity.
They've already passed most of their signature GOP fantasy legislation in the last General Assembly. We got draconian budget cuts, elimination of agency oversight, tort "reform," union busting, a stacked deck against workers filing unemployment or worker compensation claims, discrimination against gays in state and local government contracts, opting out of Obamacare mandates, the end of teacher tenure, weakened teacher unions, unlimited charter schools, substandard for-profit "virtual" schools, teaching evolution in schools, drug testing for welfare recipients, repeal of voter verifiable voting machine requirements, weakened campaign finance laws, plus a voter photo ID poll tax and other voter disenfranchisement.
How much worse can it get with a Republican supermajority? School vouchers are a certainty. So is second passage of SJR127 to put a constitutional anti-abortion amendment on the ballot. First passage of a redundant anti-income tax amendment is likely. Medicaid expansion will be stalled or curtailed. Guns in trunks will be resurrected. One can only imagine what else they are cooking up. Check ALEC's website for the recipes.
Democrats are running a few good candidates, including three teachers from Knox Co. to fight vouchers. But will it be enough? Magic 8 Ball says "prospects gloomy."
We are superscrewed.
In related news, TNDP Chairman Chip Forrester says he is stepping down after this election.
- What's the deal with switchblades? (25 replies)
- RIP Bobby Drinnon (8 replies)
- Shoulda got Moxley (49 replies)
- Keep Knoxville Beautiful: Nominate a location to be beautified (6 replies)
- U.S. Senate candidate Terry Adams blasts Alexander on veteran votes (6 replies)
- Ex SR No. 4501 Passes FRA Boiler Inspection (1 reply)
- Teacher-candidate wins Seventh District seat by default (61 replies)
- Anti Union Picketing Bill is moving - deferred to next Tuesday 3/11 (13 replies)
- Herr Huffman-Rhee on TEA (3 replies)
- Major bitcoin exchange vanishes, along with $350 million (37 replies)
- Obamacare Just Made Americans Richer Without Anyone Noticing (1 reply)
- Stop the State Power Grab- NO Changes to the Right to Farm Act! (16 replies)
- Mar 8 2014 - 6:30pm (1 day 15 hours from now)
- Mar 20 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 6 days from now)