Per yesterday's Tennessean, State Department of Education Commissioner Kevin Huffman withheld $3.4 million in state funding from the allotment Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) received Monday.
The Department handed down the penalty following the MNPS board's failure to approve a charter school application from applicant Great Hearts Academy. The board had cited the applicant's lack of a "diversity plan" as the reason for their concern.
In a Metro schools statement that expressed disappointment with the reduction, the district questioned how state officials arrived at the dollar amount and its consistency with other state penalties. “Tennessee law does not address penalties in this situation,” the statement reads...
...Moving forward, the board’s Great Hearts critics aren’t ruling out a potential lawsuit against the state following the financial reprimand.
(The online petition referenced in the article, which has been linked at KnoxViews previously, may be accessed here. I was pleased to note that several KV regulars have already signed it, as have I. For whatever help it may be to MNPS, we still can.)
- See Gloria Johnson Slam Eddie Smith (12 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (180 replies)
- We loved Metro Pulse rally (7 replies)
- Send Lawyers, Guns and Money (196 replies)
- The real takeaway from the 2nd D. school board forum (15 replies)
- Uh, what? (29 replies)
- USGS updates earthquake hazard for East Tennessee (2 replies)
- News Sentinel endorses Gloria Johnson, NO on Amendment 1 (37 replies)
- Meet Eddie Smith with Lamar Alexander! (37 replies)
- Urban infrastructure gets a second life (1 reply)
- California readies pay-as-you-drive tax test, coming soon to a road near you (8 replies)
- A tribute to Roy of Roy's Records (1 reply)
- Oct 20 2014 - 11:00am (5 hours 6 min from now)
- Oct 20 2014 - 6:30pm (12 hours 36 min from now)
- Oct 23 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 12 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 3 days from now)