Per yesterday's Tennessean, State Department of Education Commissioner Kevin Huffman withheld $3.4 million in state funding from the allotment Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) received Monday.
The Department handed down the penalty following the MNPS board's failure to approve a charter school application from applicant Great Hearts Academy. The board had cited the applicant's lack of a "diversity plan" as the reason for their concern.
In a Metro schools statement that expressed disappointment with the reduction, the district questioned how state officials arrived at the dollar amount and its consistency with other state penalties. “Tennessee law does not address penalties in this situation,” the statement reads...
...Moving forward, the board’s Great Hearts critics aren’t ruling out a potential lawsuit against the state following the financial reprimand.
(The online petition referenced in the article, which has been linked at KnoxViews previously, may be accessed here. I was pleased to note that several KV regulars have already signed it, as have I. For whatever help it may be to MNPS, we still can.)
- Making out like a Bandit? (79 replies)
- Art or advertising? Magpies and city trying to sort it out (7 replies)
- Big Brother is (was?) listening at the courthouse (13 replies)
- U.S. Economy Added 173,000 Jobs in August; Unemployment Rate Fell (1 reply)
- Stand Up for Good Jobs, Living Wages, & Our Public Services! (1 reply)
- Rowan Co. KY county clerk in the national spotlight for defying U.S. Supreme Court (20 replies)
- Tennessee judge won't grant divorce because the gays win (3 replies)
- State officials promote 'low-cost labor force' to lure foreign industries to Tennessee (2 replies)
- State seeks input on proposed law to charge for public records inspection (1 reply)
- The beast has more than one belly: (21 replies)
- Cades Cove this morning (5 replies)
- City of Alcoa looking for better growth management (1 reply)
- Sep 4 2015 - 6:00pm (5 hours 25 min from now)
- Sep 4 2015 - 7:00pm (6 hours 25 min from now)
- Sep 11 2015 - 6:30pm (1 week 5 hours from now)