Per yesterday's Tennessean, State Department of Education Commissioner Kevin Huffman withheld $3.4 million in state funding from the allotment Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) received Monday.
The Department handed down the penalty following the MNPS board's failure to approve a charter school application from applicant Great Hearts Academy. The board had cited the applicant's lack of a "diversity plan" as the reason for their concern.
In a Metro schools statement that expressed disappointment with the reduction, the district questioned how state officials arrived at the dollar amount and its consistency with other state penalties. “Tennessee law does not address penalties in this situation,” the statement reads...
...Moving forward, the board’s Great Hearts critics aren’t ruling out a potential lawsuit against the state following the financial reprimand.
(The online petition referenced in the article, which has been linked at KnoxViews previously, may be accessed here. I was pleased to note that several KV regulars have already signed it, as have I. For whatever help it may be to MNPS, we still can.)
- Marsha, Marsha, Marsha: unlike Duncan, not afraid of constituents (4 replies)
- Louisville Point Park Eagle? (2 replies)
- Swedes confused/angered by Trump remark (5 replies)
- Traffic deaths expected to have hit troubling milestone (1 reply)
- LWV local news media forum (6 replies)
- The Great Backyard Bird Count is underway (4 replies)
- Concerns linger over future of AMSE after land transfer (1 reply)
- McCain Defends a Free Press: ‘That’s How Dictators Get Started’ (2 replies)
- Nearly one-third of TN high schoolers graduated without all course requirements in 2015 (4 replies)
- U.S. House sanctions hunting hibernating bears, wolf pups in their dens (2 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (101 replies)
- What's Going On? An update about road and greenway projects across Blount County (2 replies)
- Feb 22 2017 - 12:00pm (3 hours 10 min ago)
- Feb 23 2017 - 6:00pm (1 day 2 hours from now)
- Feb 27 2017 - 7:00pm (5 days 3 hours from now)