Monsanto ($4.2 million), DuPont ($4 million), PepsiCo, Nestlé, ConAgra Foods and Coca-Cola, each $1 million +, and others, are spending millions to fight Proposition 37 in California. Prop 37 would require the labeling of foods to identify if the foods contains anything geneticaly modified, just like identifying the amount of salt or trans fats.
companies behind some of the biggest organic brands in the country — Kashi [Kellogg], Cascadian Farm [General Mills], Horizon Organic [Dean Foods] — also have joined the antilabeling effort, adding millions of dollars to defeat the initiative
Kellogg, parent company of Kashi, has donated $600,000 to fight Prop 37. General Mills, parent company of Cascadian Farm, has donated $900,000 to stop Prop 37.
The European Union has required such biotech labeling since 1997, and companies by and large have formulated their products so that they do not contain any genetically engineered ingredients and thus do not need labeling. Also, David Byrne, the former European commissioner for health and consumer protection, has said that there was no impact on the cost of products.
It is being reported that the initiative is expected to pass even though $25 million has been spent to defeat it. I'm thinking the country is lucky to have Californians stand up for consumer rights. Haven't many national consumer protection laws originated in California? Those dang communists, socialists, anti-capitalists.
- Republican State Rep: new traffic law needed to help him get home (8 replies)
- Gunman attacks Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood clinic (12 replies)
- U.N. Weather Agency: It's Record Hot Out There This Year (3 replies)
- Mayor Rogero lowers the boom on former mayor and Shopper columnist Victor Ashe (65 replies)
- Who Turned My Blue State Red? (12 replies)
- Six Knox Co. high schools "failing" according to state tests (39 replies)
- We are TARGEEEEET!!! (1 reply)
- Right-wing contortions (3 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (343 replies)
- Happy Thanksgiving! (2 replies)
- KCSO Proposed Safety Center (4 replies)
- McIntyre's self-evaluation (13 replies)