The pizza place up the street has closed. Previously, a nice Italian family from New Jersey ran it for several years. They spoke Italian to each other and their pizza was pretty good, and so were the other dishes we tried. The Mrs. said they used too much garlic, though.
We visited when this guy took over a while back. It was in need of a Restaurant Impossible cleaning and service was lacking despite the fact that it seemed like there were more slacker kids working there than the place would seat at its three or four small tables.
Worse, it appeared they had replaced the pizza oven and hand-tossed dough with some kind of conveyor belt contraption and pre-made (frozen?) crusts. The pizza wasn't very good. The menu had grown and seemed overly ambitious. They also seemed to have a lot of Groupon and deal-of-the-day half off coupons.
The decor featured some patriotic stuff, which is fine (the owner was a veteran) but there was also some right-wing decorating including posters for gun shows and the like. It was creepy. The poor food could not overcome the weird vibe. We never went back.
I'm not sure if this guy has ever been in the restaurant business before or knew anything about it, and it's sad that he couldn't make it. But he sure as hell seems to know exactly why his restaurant failed, and in his mind it had nothing to do with any of the above.
- What's wrong with this picture? (9 replies)
- Another delay for Island Home reopening (1 reply)
- U.N. Weather Agency: It's Record Hot Out There This Year (5 replies)
- Mayor Rogero lowers the boom on former mayor and Shopper columnist Victor Ashe (67 replies)
- Republican State Rep: new traffic law needed to help him get home (16 replies)
- Knoxville Retailers, Gone but not Forgotten (344 replies)
- Gunman attacks Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood clinic (17 replies)
- Local attorney K.O. Herston picked by American Bar Assoc. for Top 100 Law Blogs (1 reply)
- Who Turned My Blue State Red? (12 replies)
- Six Knox Co. high schools "failing" according to state tests (39 replies)
- We are TARGEEEEET!!! (1 reply)
- Right-wing contortions (3 replies)
- Dec 1 2015 - 5:30pm (2 hours 21 min from now)
- Dec 1 2015 - 7:00pm (3 hours 51 min from now)
- Dec 4 2015 - 7:30pm (3 days 4 hours from now)
- Dec 10 2015 - 5:30pm (1 week 2 days from now)