The pizza place up the street has closed. Previously, a nice Italian family from New Jersey ran it for several years. They spoke Italian to each other and their pizza was pretty good, and so were the other dishes we tried. The Mrs. said they used too much garlic, though.
We visited when this guy took over a while back. It was in need of a Restaurant Impossible cleaning and service was lacking despite the fact that it seemed like there were more slacker kids working there than the place would seat at its three or four small tables.
Worse, it appeared they had replaced the pizza oven and hand-tossed dough with some kind of conveyor belt contraption and pre-made (frozen?) crusts. The pizza wasn't very good. The menu had grown and seemed overly ambitious. They also seemed to have a lot of Groupon and deal-of-the-day half off coupons.
The decor featured some patriotic stuff, which is fine (the owner was a veteran) but there was also some right-wing decorating including posters for gun shows and the like. It was creepy. The poor food could not overcome the weird vibe. We never went back.
I'm not sure if this guy has ever been in the restaurant business before or knew anything about it, and it's sad that he couldn't make it. But he sure as hell seems to know exactly why his restaurant failed, and in his mind it had nothing to do with any of the above.
- Looking like a deadlock (17 replies)
- Uber Problem (16 replies)
- The long awaited "policy positions" of Dem candidate for Governor Charlie Brown (7 replies)
- Big Box Health Care: Are You Ready for Walmart Care Clinics? (8 replies)
- Nashville Charter Drama (21 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (55 replies)
- Some happy Labor Day news from California (2 replies)
- ETSPJ denounces McIntyre - BOE "agreement" (10 replies)
- ISIS (113 replies)
- Does this make you feel safer? (4 replies)
- Surprise, surprise! (49 replies)
- All the Companies Making Money From Healthcare.gov in One Chart (26 replies)
- Sep 4 2014 - 5:30pm (1 day 21 hours from now)
First Friday Celebration and Silent Auction (benefiting UTK College Dems) with Knox Co Democratic PartySep 5 2014 - 6:00pm (2 days 21 hours from now)
- Sep 10 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 22 hours from now)