The pizza place up the street has closed. Previously, a nice Italian family from New Jersey ran it for several years. They spoke Italian to each other and their pizza was pretty good, and so were the other dishes we tried. The Mrs. said they used too much garlic, though.
We visited when this guy took over a while back. It was in need of a Restaurant Impossible cleaning and service was lacking despite the fact that it seemed like there were more slacker kids working there than the place would seat at its three or four small tables.
Worse, it appeared they had replaced the pizza oven and hand-tossed dough with some kind of conveyor belt contraption and pre-made (frozen?) crusts. The pizza wasn't very good. The menu had grown and seemed overly ambitious. They also seemed to have a lot of Groupon and deal-of-the-day half off coupons.
The decor featured some patriotic stuff, which is fine (the owner was a veteran) but there was also some right-wing decorating including posters for gun shows and the like. It was creepy. The poor food could not overcome the weird vibe. We never went back.
I'm not sure if this guy has ever been in the restaurant business before or knew anything about it, and it's sad that he couldn't make it. But he sure as hell seems to know exactly why his restaurant failed, and in his mind it had nothing to do with any of the above.
- so this is it ... (2 replies)
- Status of State Action on the Medicaid Expansion Decision (2 replies)
- Tivo deal alert (2 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (6 replies)
- City Council candidate forum (5 replies)
- EPA fines Rep. Andy Hold for illegal hog waste dumping (5 replies)
- Praise the Lord and pass the legislation! (32 replies)
- Redesign of Public Space at Riverwalk (22 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (5 replies)
- Court: City Council must vote on Pryor Brown surface parking lot (13 replies)
- U.S. tax cuts don't pay for themselves -Republican-appointed official says (3 replies)
- Haslam to outsource operation of U.T. and other university facilities (58 replies)