The pizza place up the street has closed. Previously, a nice Italian family from New Jersey ran it for several years. They spoke Italian to each other and their pizza was pretty good, and so were the other dishes we tried. The Mrs. said they used too much garlic, though.
We visited when this guy took over a while back. It was in need of a Restaurant Impossible cleaning and service was lacking despite the fact that it seemed like there were more slacker kids working there than the place would seat at its three or four small tables.
Worse, it appeared they had replaced the pizza oven and hand-tossed dough with some kind of conveyor belt contraption and pre-made (frozen?) crusts. The pizza wasn't very good. The menu had grown and seemed overly ambitious. They also seemed to have a lot of Groupon and deal-of-the-day half off coupons.
The decor featured some patriotic stuff, which is fine (the owner was a veteran) but there was also some right-wing decorating including posters for gun shows and the like. It was creepy. The poor food could not overcome the weird vibe. We never went back.
I'm not sure if this guy has ever been in the restaurant business before or knew anything about it, and it's sad that he couldn't make it. But he sure as hell seems to know exactly why his restaurant failed, and in his mind it had nothing to do with any of the above.
- FINAL CALL! Stop the State Power Grab- NO Changes to the Right to Farm Act! (25 replies)
- Shoulda got Moxley (84 replies)
- Daily Show: Third world health care in Knoxville (29 replies)
- Herr Huffman-Rhee on TEA (and 'Faux' Parents) (5 replies)
- 2014 Shootings in Knox County, TN (16 replies)
- Fulton Lady Falcons win at state quarterfinals, 67-49 over Cannon County (5 replies)
- The 5 National Parks Hardest Hit by the Government Shutdown (1 reply)
- Shame on you Gov. Haslam (14 replies)
- What's the deal with switchblades? (27 replies)
- Keep Knoxville Beautiful: Nominate a location to be beautified (7 replies)
- RIP Bobby Drinnon (8 replies)
- U.S. Senate candidate Terry Adams blasts Alexander on veteran votes (6 replies)
- Mar 8 2014 - 6:30pm (4 hours 56 min from now)
- Mar 20 2014 - 7:00pm (1 week 5 days from now)