NYC Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced a city-sponsored competition to design an apartment building full of “micro-units” with 275 to 300 square feet of living space. The project will be in Kips Bay, Manhattan, which is on the East side just North of the East Village. The minimum size for apartments was 450 sq/ft.
Approximately 69,000 people occupy each square mile of Manhattan. There are about 1.8 million 1 or 2 person households in NYC, with only 1 million small apartments.
"City officials said they hoped the building would become a prototype for a new model of tiny, but affordable, housing." Affordable for NYC. The tiny, new apartments will rent for around $2,000, the average rent for small apartments in the area. The units will have kitchens and bathrooms, but no closets.
According to the 2011 Census, the average size single-family new home is 2,480 sq/ft. The average size of new multifamily units is 1,408 sq/ft. The City of Knoxville is approximately 98 sq/miles, with approx. 180,000 people (1,836 people per sq/mile).
How do you not appear to be a hoarder in such a small area?
- Trump calls for business tax cuts to stimulate economy (29 replies)
- BCBS Pulling Out of TN Metros (16 replies)
- Let's get ready to rumble! (21 replies)
- Sen. Alexander, you should be ashamed (6 replies)
- Toxic air pollution nanoparticles discovered in the human brain (1 reply)
- Butt probe (8 replies)
- UT vs UF - it's on (15 replies)
- The millennial vote? (8 replies)
- I called the Wells Fargo ethics line and was fired (3 replies)
- Trump Health Plan Would Raise Costs, Clinton's Would Insure More (1 reply)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (62 replies)
- Ruby Tuesday selling Maryville headquarters (5 replies)
- Sep 28 2016 - 12:00pm (7 hours 26 min from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 5:00pm (1 day 12 hours from now)
- Sep 29 2016 - 6:00pm (1 day 13 hours from now)
- Oct 6 2016 - 6:00pm (1 week 1 day from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (1 week 6 days from now)