Heralded by the front page headline 'Great news for schools', Knox County schools have achieved an NCLB rating of 'adequate'. The Knoxville News Sentinel reports:
Vine and four other Knox County schools improved test scores and other performance measures enough during the past two years to be removed from the high-priority list.
On balance, though, the improvements were enough to boost the school system as a whole into the category of adequately performing districts. Sixty-one of the system's 79 schools that fall under the federal program are making adequate progress.
According to the article, seven schools are still on the underperforming list, including two new ones, and eleven more are on notice.
The article explains one of the measures being taken:
Donna Wright, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction, said the school system broke down testing data to determine what each student needed. That approach should help correct problems at the remaining underperforming schools, Wright said.
Read the article for more details and some interesting background on NCLB in Tennessee.
To summarize, it seems that if you set your standards low enough, 'adequate' is, well, adequate. Not quite 'great', but adequate. And if you actually teach individual children (as opposed to mass producing robotic test-takers) you might actually see improvements. Perhaps with such innovative thinking, Knox County Schools can rise above 'adequate' and achieve 'mostly OK' status.
- Swedes confused/angered by Trump remark (4 replies)
- LWV local news media forum (6 replies)
- The Great Backyard Bird Count is underway (4 replies)
- Concerns linger over future of AMSE after land transfer (1 reply)
- McCain Defends a Free Press: ‘That’s How Dictators Get Started’ (2 replies)
- Nearly one-third of TN high schoolers graduated without all course requirements in 2015 (4 replies)
- U.S. House sanctions hunting hibernating bears, wolf pups in their dens (2 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (101 replies)
- What's Going On? An update about road and greenway projects across Blount County (2 replies)
- NYT: The 'Caddyshack' President (6 replies)
- Trump's NatSec advisor Michael Flynn resigns (20 replies)
- NYT - Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence (7 replies)
- Feb 22 2017 - 12:00pm (1 day 18 hours from now)
- Feb 23 2017 - 6:00pm (3 days 5 min from now)
- Feb 27 2017 - 7:00pm (1 week 1 hour from now)