You wouldn't know it to look at NHL.com today, but last night was a breath-taking display of professional ice hockey, seldom seen at any level of the professional game.
A team, down 4 goals to 1 entering the 3rd period during a road game, rang up 3 goals in under four minutes ... the final four minutes of the match ... and won 5-4.
That team is Tennessee's own Nashville Predators.
(Video of final 2 goals here.)
Quietly (as in "basically ignored by everyone outside of Tennessee"), this squad has amassed the 5th best record in the NHL (66 points from 51 games, 31W-16L-4OT), has 3 All-Star players on its roster (defensemen Shea Weber & Ryan Suter, rookie Craig Smith), boasts one of the finest goalies in the league (2011 Vezina Trophy finalist Pekka Rinne), has been to the Stanley Cup playoffs every year except one since 2003, and is currently 2nd in the tough Central Division (the division features perennial powerhouses Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, and St Louis Blues).
If they're not careful, they may just find themselves going deep into the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Fox Sports Tennessee carries most of their live coverage and features the commentary of Pete Weber (named Tennessee Sportscaster of the Year) as well as the voice of "Broad Street Bullies" member/former NHL coach Terry Crisp.
If you have even a passing interest in ice hockey, this is a team worth checking out. (And if you're ever in Nashville, a ticket to a game is a fun, if occasionally ear-splitting, way to pass an evening downtown.)
- Next Stop (2 replies)
- NAAWP? Seriously? (11 replies)
- It's getting close to tax time (7 replies)
- RIP Leonard Nimoy (8 replies)
- Frank Cagle nails the Voucher Issue (30 replies)
- Glenn Reynolds: Libertarian Fascist? (57 replies)
- Led Zeppelin update (4 replies)
- Other reasons KNS might be losing subscribers (27 replies)
- Here we go again (22 replies)
- Nashville schools audit assesses impact of charter schools (4 replies)
- FCC will enforce net neutrality (1 reply)
- Is there an exhaustive list of Knoxville breweries? (1 reply)