Nonfarm payroll employment was unchanged in August, and the unemployment rate held at 9.1 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today.
Employment in most major industries changed little over the month. Health care continued to add jobs, and a decline in information employment reflected a strike. Government employment continued to trend down, despite the return of workers from a partial government shutdown in Minnesota.
- EPA fines Rep. Andy Hold for illegal hog waste dumping (4 replies)
- City Council candidate forum (2 replies)
- Redesign of Public Space at Riverwalk (22 replies)
- Praise the Lord and pass the legislation! (30 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (5 replies)
- Court: City Council must vote on Pryor Brown surface parking lot (13 replies)
- U.S. tax cuts don't pay for themselves -Republican-appointed official says (3 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (3 replies)
- Haslam to outsource operation of U.T. and other university facilities (58 replies)
- The cutest thing you will see all day (7 replies)
- Halls Shopper update (8 replies)
- State's unclaimed property website streamlined (3 replies)