Official Goodyear statement:
Goodyear today announced plans to close its Union City, Tenn., tire manufacturing facility by the end of 2011 as part of its strategy to reduce high-cost manufacturing capacity globally and provide cost effective high-value-added products that the market is demanding while continuing to make high quality products for its customers.
"While we are committed to manufacturing in North America, all of our plants must be cost competitive and be able to demonstrate sustainable world-class productivity. That is not the case with this plant, and as a result, the market has moved beyond what the factory is able to build," said [Richard J. Kramer, chairman and chief executive officer].
This closure, when complete, will eliminate approximately 12 million units of available capacity and is the final action in plans announced in 2009 to eliminate 15 million to 25 million units of high-cost capacity globally. This action is expected to provide annual cost savings of approximately $80 million. The Union City plant currently employs approximately 1,900 associates.
The announcement came in Goodyear's 4th quarter 2010 earnings report, which stated a net loss of $177 million on revenues of $5.1 billion. The company reported a net loss of $216 million on sales of $18.8 billion for the year. According to the report, the total after-tax restructuring, accelerated depreciation and asset write-off charges for closure will be approx. $270 million, which includes approx. $140 million in cash charges.
Goodyear's other U.S. manufacturing facilities are located at Akron OH, Gadsden AL, Buffalo NY, Topeka KS, Danville VA and Fayetteville NC.
Union City is a small town in Northwest Tennessee with a population of about 11,000. The largest employer is Goodyear, which opened there in 1969.
- Report: School board member/candidate Gloria Deathridge health issues (15 replies)
- State finally admits its for-profit virtual academy is a flop (7 replies)
- Knoxville News Sentinel website makeover (15 replies)
- Lloyd Daugherty's statement regarding Supreme Court Chief Justice Gary Wade (12 replies)
- Sens. Bell and Kelsey ask AG to sue Obama (5 replies)
- Knox Co. should resolve Halls greenway project issues (37 replies)
- No Credit? No Problem (26 replies)
- ISIS (36 replies)
- George Flinn for Senate? (5 replies)
- Jonathan Turley - "Get ready for an even bigger threat to Obamacare" (13 replies)
- Knoxville firefighters endorse Cheri Siler for State Senate (3 replies)
- Tennessee, an inauspicious place to raise children (1 reply)
- Jul 24 2014 - 6:00pm (5 hours 45 min ago)
- Jul 26 2014 - 9:00am (1 day 9 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 10:00am (4 days 10 hours from now)
- Jul 29 2014 - 5:30pm (4 days 17 hours from now)