Four members of Tennessee's congressional delegation - Reps. Blackburn, DesJarlais, Duncan, and Roe - have all signed on as co-sponsors of legislation which drastically alters the definition of rape. H.R. 3 has been dubbed a top priority by the GOP. But within the details are some harsh ideas about what rape is and is not, all in an effort to reduce reimbursements for private health care plans.
"With this legislation, which was introduced last week by Rep. Chris Smith (R-N.J.), Republicans propose that the rape exemption be limited to "forcible rape." This would rule out federal assistance for abortions in many rape cases, including instances of statutory rape, many of which are non-forcible. For example: If a 13-year-old girl is impregnated by a 24-year-old adult, she would no longer qualify to have Medicaid pay for an abortion.
"Other types of rapes that would no longer be covered by the exemption include rapes in which the woman was drugged or given excessive amounts of alcohol, rapes of women with limited mental capacity, and many date rapes."
"the anti-abortion side has ... been pushing to outlaw tax deductions for insurance plans that cover abortion, even if the abortion coverage is never used."
I've not seen any in the TN delegation rushing to the press to promote their plan, which makes me wonder if they are ashamed of themselves or if they are just hoping no one (outside of anti-abortion forces) will notice what they - and 170 other co-sponsors - want to do.
- Rolling Stone: Hillary's New Deal (6 replies)
- Blue Cross to raise rates by 62% for individual policies (36 replies)
- Women's Suffrage Monument Unveiled in Nashville (2 replies)
- Cheat sheet on why to vote for the Democratic candidate (1 reply)
- Mass shooting in Orlando (17 replies)
- 2016 Shootings in Knox County, TN (57 replies)
- Knox Co. breaks ground on new all-inclusive playground (1 reply)
- Walmart's Out-of-Control Crime Problem is Driving Police Crazy (9 replies)
- K-Mart N. Broadway gone (20 replies)
- Local Motors to produce Olli self-driving vehicle in Knoxville (10 replies)
- Union Ave, Ice Cream, and soup? (48 replies)
- UT students are back! (14 replies)
- Aug 27 2016 - 2:00pm (13 hours 14 min from now)
- Oct 11 2016 - 10:00am (6 weeks 3 days from now)