Four members of Tennessee's congressional delegation - Reps. Blackburn, DesJarlais, Duncan, and Roe - have all signed on as co-sponsors of legislation which drastically alters the definition of rape. H.R. 3 has been dubbed a top priority by the GOP. But within the details are some harsh ideas about what rape is and is not, all in an effort to reduce reimbursements for private health care plans.
"With this legislation, which was introduced last week by Rep. Chris Smith (R-N.J.), Republicans propose that the rape exemption be limited to "forcible rape." This would rule out federal assistance for abortions in many rape cases, including instances of statutory rape, many of which are non-forcible. For example: If a 13-year-old girl is impregnated by a 24-year-old adult, she would no longer qualify to have Medicaid pay for an abortion.
"Other types of rapes that would no longer be covered by the exemption include rapes in which the woman was drugged or given excessive amounts of alcohol, rapes of women with limited mental capacity, and many date rapes."
"the anti-abortion side has ... been pushing to outlaw tax deductions for insurance plans that cover abortion, even if the abortion coverage is never used."
I've not seen any in the TN delegation rushing to the press to promote their plan, which makes me wonder if they are ashamed of themselves or if they are just hoping no one (outside of anti-abortion forces) will notice what they - and 170 other co-sponsors - want to do.
- International Baccalaureate (9 replies)
- What's at stake with Amendment One (13 replies)
- 'No' votes on Amendment 1 changed to 'Yes' (3 replies)
- BREAKING: Metro Pulse shutting down, staff fired, other layoffs at KNS (304 replies)
- Literary artists in the house! Homes given to writers for free in Detroit (3 replies)
- A Great Response to a False and Deceptive Ad (16 replies)
- Here's a fun way to explain our State Senate Race (7 replies)
- Town Hall Forum (1 reply)
- ISIS+ (10 replies)
- We're calling a personal foul on Gloria Johnson's opponent (18 replies)
- Burlington is back (10 replies)
- Blackwater guards found guilty in Iraq shootings (8 replies)
- Oct 28 2014 - 5:30pm (3 days 9 hours from now)
- Oct 28 2014 - 6:00pm (3 days 9 hours from now)
- Oct 30 2014 - 7:00pm (5 days 10 hours from now)