Michael Silence has a column in the Sunday KNS analyzing who to blame for frustrated Democrats sitting out the November midterm elections. There are lots of suspects.
He quotes my previous top-down litany of complaints about the party in my call for Tennessee Democrats to get to the polls anyway or else suffer the consequences. It's not clear if the partial quote is supposed to be an example of the widespread frustration or an example of bloggers suggesting Democrats stay home or both.
Just to be clear, I am not saying any Democrats should stay home. To the contrary, I am saying that despite all our frustrations we need to get out and vote and support our party and its platform.
Politics is a negotiation. You have to give something to get something. If we want a seat at the table for working people, the less fortunate, and the disappearing middle class we're going to have to sit down with moderates, Blue Dogs, and all the rest.
Otherwise we weaken the party and our candidates will continue courting conservatives, caving in to corporate influence and dancing with (or for, as the case may be) the one that brung them.
That doesn't mean we shouldn't hold our candidates accountable for pursuing a liberal/progressive agenda and supporting the party's platform. But the time to sort that out is in the primaries. Once we have a nominee, for good or ill, it is in our best interest to support the candidate and the party.
- City Council candidate forum (2 replies)
- EPA fines Rep. Andy Hold for illegal hog waste dumping (2 replies)
- Redesign of Public Space at Riverwalk (22 replies)
- Praise the Lord and pass the legislation! (30 replies)
- Plans for Midway Business Park revived (5 replies)
- Court: City Council must vote on Pryor Brown surface parking lot (13 replies)
- U.S. tax cuts don't pay for themselves -Republican-appointed official says (3 replies)
- Immigration and Entitlements = Trump Traction (3 replies)
- Haslam to outsource operation of U.T. and other university facilities (58 replies)
- The cutest thing you will see all day (7 replies)
- Halls Shopper update (8 replies)
- State's unclaimed property website streamlined (3 replies)