UPDATE: Knox County Administrator of Elections Greg Mackay forwards this sample ballot (PDF format) for the August 3 election.
The deadline to register for the August county general and state primary election is next Monday, July 3rd. Forms must be postmarked by July 4th. Early voting begins July 14th.
If you're reading this, you are probably already registered and plan to vote. But you may have friends or relatives who aren't, so let them know. (And if they're voting Republican, be sure to tell them to vote for Van Hilleary in the Republican U.S. Senate Primary).
Here is the official State of Tennessee voter registration form (PDF format). It must be printed on white paper and mailed or hand delivered to your county election commission's office (addresses listed at the end of the form). If registering by mail, forms must be postmarked no later than July 4th. July 3rd is the last day to register in person.
Knox County info:
Blount County info:
(Blount Co. has not yet posted a list of candidates or a sample ballot for the Aug. 3 election. Deadlines and schedules are the same as Knox Co. In the past, early voting was at the Blount Co. Court House.)
E-Slate voting machine info:
Both Knox and Blount Co. are using new E-Slate electronic voting machines. Knox County's were just recently delivered and will be used for the first time in the Aug. 3rd election. Blount County used them in the May 2nd primary. They are simple to use.
Here is an interactive demo from the Knox Co. Election Commission's website (use your mouse to operate it just like the real thing). Here's a page explaining the procedure from the Blount Co. Election Commission's website.
State/federal primary candidates:
Some Knox County recommendations:
Thomas "Tank" Strickland, County Commission 1-B
Mark Harmon, County Commission 2-A
Amy Broyles, County Commission 2-B (Write-in)
Colvin Idol, County Commission 3-B
Joan Wagner, County Commission 4-A
Tom Salter, County Commission 5-C
Steve McGill, County Commission 9-A
Martin Pleasant, County Commission 9-B
Randy Tyree, Sheriff
Scott Emge, Register of Deeds
Jim Andrews, Chancery Court Division 3
Some Blount County recommendations:
Joe Gallagher, County Mayor
Ernie Tallent, County Commission 1-A
Lowell Ridings, County Commission 2-B
Wendy Pitt Reeves, County Commission 4-C
Bob Proffitt, County Commission 6-B
Linda Jo Dees, County Commission 7-A
Some State/federal primary recommendations:
Phil Bredesen, Governor
Harold Ford, Jr., U.S. Senate
John J. Duncan, Jr., U.S. House Dist. 2 (Republican primary)
Schree Pettigrew, State Rep. Dist. 18
(Ed. note: I don't follow the courts and thankfully haven't had to appear before any of the judicial candidates, so I don't know anything about them. If some of you legal-eagle types would like to write up a post or e-mail off the record with info and/or recommendations, I'm sure other KnoxViews readers would appreciate it and so would I.)
- DTV hosts Dr. Bob Kronick on the subject of community schools tonight. (3 replies)
- L.A. wants their school iPad money back (6 replies)
- A word before you rush out to buy those plants.... (5 replies)
- Vertical farm can make 44,000 pounds of tomatoes on the side of a parking lot (7 replies)
- Cumberland Ave. Redesign Detour/Closure (147 replies)
- Last ditch appeal to resurrect Insure Tennessee Medicaid expansion (5 replies)
- 2015 Shootings in Knox County, TN (27 replies)
- Allergies are kicking my butt this spring (11 replies)
- Need Your Opinion -- Why live in Knoxville and Where? (85 replies)
- What gives "conservatives" a bad name (15 replies)
- Downtown street musicians (6 replies)
- Santa Gov wants to give FedEx an early Christmas present (10 replies)