Here's a summary of yesterday's County Commission meeting:
We voted overwhelmingly to start the process of removing Scott Moore from the Board of Zoning Appeals. The required hearing is scheduled for next month, April 20th, 9:30 a.m. or immediately after intergovernmental committee meeting. I was the author of the motion, so most likely I will make the case for removal.
The Commission ignored my motion to begin the process of removing for cause Grace/Hillcrest as our Medicare/Medicaid nursing home contractor, and instead passed a substitute motion to give the group until July to clean up its act before we reconsider the idea. The vote was close, 10 to 9.
The East County Sector Plan, complete with the controversial Midway Business Park, was delayed 30 days to give time for a commission workshop on the matter.
The Public Safety Center next to Helen Ross McNabb (for persons picked up for public intoxication) also was given 30 days for community group discussions.
Legally we couldn't do much to help the New Covenant Baptist Church and their unusual tax problems, but we passed a resolution expressing sympathy and hoping other government bodies act in understanding of the strange circumstances.
- school board meeting underway (34 replies)
- Haslam snubs Obama, again (11 replies)
- Rail incident, evacuations ongoing in Blount Co. (10 replies)
- Blurring the Racial Lines (53 replies)
- Supreme Court rules against EPA on regulating mercury emissions (30 replies)
- Sheriff's office stonewalling jail beating victim's lawyers? (7 replies)
- New revelations in deadly school bus crash (96 replies)
- McIntyre's week in review (4 replies)
- TNGOP wants a special session on the gay crisis (3 replies)
- Couldn't happen to a nicer guy (2 replies)
- Today's school board work session (23 replies)
- Dog jumping in water (5 replies)