Statement from Gloria Johnson by way of the TNDP:
Despite Committee Appointments, Rep. Johnson Pledges to Fight for Tennessee Students
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- State Rep. Gloria Johnson, a Knoxville schoolteacher, made it clear Thursday she would fight for education reforms that benefit all Tennessee students despite the fact that she was passed over for the state House committee that studies education policy.
Rep. Johnson released the following statement:
"Teachers have watched as a lot of bad ideas were turned into law in the last two years, from the for-profit Internet experiment that failed students to the misguided reforms that devalued the contributions of great teachers. It was my hope that I would be able use my two decades of classroom experience on the education committee to directly influence reforms that empower students to succeed.
"Strong public schools are the key to preparing every child -- regardless of zip code -- for 21st century jobs. It is pretty apparent the Republicans who control Nashville don't want to have a debate that could potentially derail their special interest scheme to start diverting the hard-earned money we pay in taxes away from our public school classrooms to private institutions that do not have to prove they offer better outcomes for our children."
Johnson will serve as a member on the Agriculture & Natural Resources Committee and the Health Committee.
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (11 replies)
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (13 replies)
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (2 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)