The issue of sovereignty over Gaza’s gas fields is crucial. From a legal standpoint, the gas reserves belong to Palestine.
The death of Yasser Arafat, the election of the Hamas government and the ruin of the Palestinian Authority have enabled Israel to establish de facto control over Gaza’s offshore gas reserves.
British Gas (BG Group) has been dealing with the Tel Aviv government. In turn, the Hamas government has been bypassed in regards to exploration and development rights over the gas fields.
The election of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in 2001 was a major turning point. Palestine’s sovereignty over the offshore gas fields was challenged in the Israeli Supreme Court. Sharon stated unequivocally that “Israel would never buy gas from Palestine” intimating that Gaza’s offshore gas reserves belong to Israel.
- How Republicans quietly sabotaged Obamacare long before Trump came into office (2 replies)
- Repealing Obamacare affects everyone (54 replies)
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (13 replies)
- What your Congressman thinks of you (8 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (2 replies)
- Maybe our government works after all (1 reply)
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (13 replies)
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (2 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)