Former U.S. Senator Dr. Bill Frist and Dr. Manoj Jain, a Memphis physician and policy expert, have an op-ed in today's Commercial Appeal outlining the impacts of Medicaid (TennCare) expansion. Their conclusion:
There is no simple answer to the question of Medicaid expansion. While providing health insurance for more Tennesseans puts a strain on the state budget, it also builds a healthier workforce, improves worker productivity and expands investments in our local economy. We believe, then, the benefits outweigh the risks.
The column summarizes several social, economic and policy considerations.
- How Republicans quietly sabotaged Obamacare long before Trump came into office (5 replies)
- Maybe Trump should try single payer? (1 reply)
- Repealing Obamacare affects everyone (54 replies)
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (13 replies)
- What your Congressman thinks of you (8 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (2 replies)
- Maybe our government works after all (1 reply)
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (13 replies)
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (2 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)