Monsanto ($4.2 million), DuPont ($4 million), PepsiCo, Nestlé, ConAgra Foods and Coca-Cola, each $1 million +, and others, are spending millions to fight Proposition 37 in California. Prop 37 would require the labeling of foods to identify if the foods contains anything geneticaly modified, just like identifying the amount of salt or trans fats.
companies behind some of the biggest organic brands in the country — Kashi [Kellogg], Cascadian Farm [General Mills], Horizon Organic [Dean Foods] — also have joined the antilabeling effort, adding millions of dollars to defeat the initiative
Kellogg, parent company of Kashi, has donated $600,000 to fight Prop 37. General Mills, parent company of Cascadian Farm, has donated $900,000 to stop Prop 37.
The European Union has required such biotech labeling since 1997, and companies by and large have formulated their products so that they do not contain any genetically engineered ingredients and thus do not need labeling. Also, David Byrne, the former European commissioner for health and consumer protection, has said that there was no impact on the cost of products.
It is being reported that the initiative is expected to pass even though $25 million has been spent to defeat it. I'm thinking the country is lucky to have Californians stand up for consumer rights. Haven't many national consumer protection laws originated in California? Those dang communists, socialists, anti-capitalists.
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (6 replies)
- Trump budget (13 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (3 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)
- Chuck Berry, rock 'n' roll pioneer, dead at 90 (1 reply)
- Repealing Obamacare affects everyone (51 replies)
- Trump's Cabinet (112 replies)
- Rep. Diane Black fishing around for info on Medicaid block grants (3 replies)
- Mar 24 2017 - 9:00am (1 day 10 hours from now)
- Mar 28 2017 - 6:30pm (5 days 19 hours from now)
- Mar 29 2017 - 12:00pm (6 days 13 hours from now)
- Apr 27 2017 - 6:00pm (5 weeks 19 hours from now)