Below is a blog entry from the Philadelphia Inquirer today. It could not have been more timely, as far as I was concerned, particularly when I was forced to sit and listen to the empty homilies that Bush uttered at the Memorial Service this afternoon at Blacksburg. 'Forced' because I was stuck in traffic when NPR broadcast the insert of his words. I tried to turn down the volume, but the piece was longer than I thought and I caught bits of it, despite my best efforts.
Can anyone explain why he had to GO TO Blacksburg?
Read more after the jump...
UPDATED: Please stay home
There's sometimes a thin line between the debate that usually should be held -- with at least a small amount of distance -- after a public tragedy like the Virginia Tech massacre, and raw, ugly politicization.
But this could be the worst politicizing ever:
President Bush's staff has talked to Virginia Tech officials about the possibility of Bush visiting campus this week, Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said at a press conference this evening.
There's nothing like a senseless bloodbath to build back that low approval rating, is there? The most puzzling thing is this: What on earth could Bush possibly have to say to the people of the Virginia Tech community? The man has been in office for more than six years and has done absolutely nothing to reduce violence in this country.
UPDATE: Bush is indeed going to Virginia Tech, with Laura, this afternoon.
Meanwhile, here's a passionate plea from a Virginia Tech alumnus (a 1979 grad, with also a masters and Ph.D. from the university) for the president not to visit the campus:
I find your desire to attend the memorial service on Virginia Tech to be just another callous and manipulative act. Do these people suffering from an inexplicable tragedy the favor of staying in Washington. You have nothing but empty sentiment to offer. However, to accommodate and protect your monstrous ego, security procedures will destroy the emotional sanctity of the memorial service. You know that, but you cannot resist the temptation to distract people from your failed foreign and domestic policies, not to mention the corruption threatening the survival of your terrible tenure as the president.
- ACA repeal vote canceled, effort falling apart (10 replies)
- Why doesn't Rep. Eddie Smith want to test school drinking water for lead? (12 replies)
- Thousands of Would-Be Democratic Candidates Flood States in Trump Backlash (1 reply)
- FBI investigates 'odd' computer link between Russian bank and Trump Organization (4 replies)
- North Dakota bill, would legalize accidentally running over protesters in the road (3 replies)
- The "Daily Show" was at Trump Nashville rally (2 replies)
- Trump budget (14 replies)
- Study: Tennessee among the most federally dependent states (1 reply)
- Pour one out for Ruby Tuesday (5 replies)
- SoKno Taco Grand Opening Friday, March 31 (2 replies)
- Safety center advancing (1 reply)
- Why does Trump hate Obama? (6 replies)